Skip to main content

MEN, DON'T PICK STONES.

While the golden gift slips....





I had dated for three good years. Three years of great moments of importance with my girl, Mabel, an embodiment of beauty. 


She was my envisaged wife and I had made plans to cement our relationship and make it official.


The relationship was so smooth that I thought that   I wasn't going to allow anything to distract me from it since I had plans of tying the knot with her.


The most intriguing features I found in Mabel while we were dating was that she was faithful, loyal and respectful in all aspects, and this was even more profound with the level of Intelligence and maturity she exhibited in the relationship over the years.


With what I found in Mabel, I never thought for once of leaving her for another girl, Never!


******


While on an official engagement in Uyo, I met Sandra, a beautiful woman from the outside, out of the blue.


This happened  while I was getting few things from a grocery store. 


In the store, I had picked an item but mistakenly touches the next one on the shelf and it fell off.


On bending over to pickup the fallen item, a beautiful damsel reached out her hand to picked it up for me. 


There we exchanged pleasantries and she introduced herself as Sandra.


We move towards the same direction in the store in search of what to pick into our respective cart.


As we moved side by side, Sandra and I exchanged contacts and soon afterwards, we went our separate ways.


After some weeks and, Sandra became a source of attention from me. 


We chatted, called and do everything that comes with new relationships.


My new found freedom, made me lose focus of my relationship with my girlfriend, Mabel.


Sandra and I became more close and before I could realized it, I was out of control with Sandra while my relationship was suffering. 


Mabel at some point became distressed and question my sudden change in a relationship we had planned to make official.


*****


Some months passed, Mabel couldn't take it anymore and she decided to walk away for good after series of quarrels and fruitless settlements.


Soon afterwards, Sandra started revealing her true colours. In fact, she was a devil in disguise who has made me jettison my relationship for her.


 

To add salt to my soured wound, my life took a hit when I had an issue at work and my company decided to place me on probation while withholding my salary.


With this turned of event, Sandra left with my cards and emptied what was remain of me in my account.


There, I realized that I had made a big mistake in letting my gold slipped off my hands while I was busy picking stones.


In about few months after I separated with Mabel, I heard she was taken, taken by someone who was more focus than me. Taken and finally out of my grip for good.


Sandra on the other hand had moved forward with her usual life of flirting while I was left to swim in my miserable life.


My moment of madness has  caused me my future, the future that was within my grabs.  


I am now looking for the golden gift I once throw out while  picking stones.


I am  Derrick and this is my story.


✍️ Patrick Ekong

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DON'T LEAVE WHEN IT IS TOO LATE.

The story . Udauk was too weak to continue with the evening chores around the house because of her pregnancy. She bent over the kitchen cabinet in search of a tuber of yam she was to prepare before her husband returned from work. At the point of stretching her hands to reach the tuber of yam under the cabin, she felt a sharp pain down her abdomen. Her left lap was swollen from the beating she got the previous night from the monster's husband. She was still short of three months from her due month. That's when she was to put to birth. The shape pain was accompanied by a loud scream. She dropped the knife she had with her and tried to settle on a table-size stool lying close to the gas cylinder in the kitchen, but she couldn't. She fell and started screaming, reached out to her phone, and dialed her husband. Mr. Sam had branched  Madam G's Native Kitchen to settle for a while before heading home as his habit demands. He was busy at his usual joint with a bottle of chill
Social Media: Are we swallowed by it? It is alarming yet no longer news the rate of social media usage since the turn of the millennium. Social Media has become a tool in nearly every 9/ 10 persons we meet everyday of our lives. In fact it is estimated that youth particularly engaged in social Media taking 8/9 hours a day out of the 24hrs. Without doubt, social media has come to enhance and add more meaning to our daily life. Since the advent of social media in the early part of the millennium, the rate people get involve in these wonderful platforms keep increasing on a daily basis. To some youth and some fraction of older people, social media is like oxygen. They can't stay a moment without. A lady once said that she can't stay without visiting her Facebook page in a day. With the number of people flooding the Social media on per second basis, one will wonder if these technology has any bad effect at all. Millions of people use social media as it is the trend now,

JOURNEY OF NO RETURN.

  The story. The atmosphere was heavy, that of apprehension and uncertainty as Iquo stared at the open space leading into the compound. It was around 10:33pm that evening.  A time in Ikot Ekim community when every household had put off their lamps and retired to bed. The nocturnal sound of night creatures made the night even more looming and intense.  Nsek has never stayed out so late no matter how fierce any argument with his wife was. In their 24 years of marriage, no matter the nature of the fights Iquo has had with her husband he will always come back home to rest in his hut.  As time ticked away, she stared at the open compound, struggling to fend off the call of nature with the hope her husband would appear at the far end of the compound.  Using her hand to support her chin, she wondered how things could change so fast. Her husband Nsek was no longer the man she married. He picked fights at every little argument and would end the night with curses, accusing Iquo of turning his on