Skip to main content

YOU CAN CATCH UP WITH THE TRAIN

 


I walked to dad after my graduation ceremony. I couldn't let my joy of finishing High School consume my dream of becoming the youngest Aeronautic Engineer. This has always been my dream. 

What really ignite my dream was the mystery behind the movement  of heavy metals in the air when I was young.

I really wanted to unravel this mystery.

It has always been my dream ever since my old man coloured my ever yearning idea of becoming an aeronautic engineer.

He had told me that I could travel to any part of the world, meet with people of diverse races as an aeronautic engineer.

"Dad! My graduation party is over and you promised me that if I should make good grades in my high school, you were going to secure admission into the university of my choice to study aeronautic engineering."  Dad... What next? I asked inquisitively.

My dad, a kind hearted man who always wanted me to have a go at what ever that will make me happy, smiled and said,

 "Son. You know I will always help you catch up with your train. I have done everything to make sure by next few months, you will be in the university to pursue your dreams."

With this words and the smiling face to intensify my dad's seriousness, a new life sprang up inside me. 

I couldn't hold my joy with the assurance my dad gave me.

By the turn of the year, I was already some days away from my  15th birthday, how time flies,I wondered.

My dad walked in to my room handed me an envelope and asked me to go ahead and open.

Guess what? It was admission letter to study the very course I have been dreaming about, AERONAUTIC ENGINEERING.

 "Yes! I made it."  i rushed at my dad and gave him a warm embrace.

My dad too was overwhelmed with joy that he gave me a smile I have never seen before. 

My 15th birthday in a few days was overshadowed by the envelope my dad handed me.

Lying down on my bed, i ponder on how lucky I was to have things worked out the way I have ever wanted.

The following year i was an undergraduate pursuing the very dream that I have always had.

***********

On a Thursday morning, immediately I received the information that our final semester results for year 3 was uploaded online, I ran out of the noisy class to go check it out for myself at the school café.

Just then at the café, my phone rang and guess who? My mom.

"Hello mom!... I picked up the phone with a smiling face to break the news that my results was excellent. 

With an inaudible voice, I could tell that mom wasn't her usual self.

 David!... She continued before I could break the news, "Your dad is..... your dad was admitted this morning at the hospital."  Hanged the phone. 

At the café, I stood like a ghost, I didn't know where to start, I had to quickly rushed home to find out what was wrong with my dad. The only person that has always helped me catch the train.

On getting home, I saw my mom soaked in tears.

My mom on the sight of me, wept the more and in her wet eyes, told me that my dad has passed on from car accident he had that morning.

In disbelief, I couldn't hold myself. Every thought ran down my mind. Everything happened so fast before I could tell.

My dreams was scattered and I was certainly missing the train.

I became so depressed after the death of my dad and it took a toll on my academic performance.

I wasn't the usual A grades student anymore and the following semester I had to rewrite more than five courses due to failure. The failure i have always been afraid of. 

In my final year, my academic performance came to a purse and I became a school dropout.

A year after, my classmates were all graduates while I struggle for survival.

I started life afresh, this time with determination not to allow the ups and downs of life weigh me down anymore. 

With my savings, I managed to see myself through school pursuing the same dream that I nearly gave up on dreaming.

9 years on, with the help of my mom, I was a graduate but at an older age.

An older graduate who life has taught so many things. A graduate with desire to catch up with the train and this time with  little or no help.

You too can catch up with your train.

Don't rush and don't compare your life to others. 

Life has it own way

✍️ Patrick Ekong

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DON'T LEAVE WHEN IT IS TOO LATE.

The story . Udauk was too weak to continue with the evening chores around the house because of her pregnancy. She bent over the kitchen cabinet in search of a tuber of yam she was to prepare before her husband returned from work. At the point of stretching her hands to reach the tuber of yam under the cabin, she felt a sharp pain down her abdomen. Her left lap was swollen from the beating she got the previous night from the monster's husband. She was still short of three months from her due month. That's when she was to put to birth. The shape pain was accompanied by a loud scream. She dropped the knife she had with her and tried to settle on a table-size stool lying close to the gas cylinder in the kitchen, but she couldn't. She fell and started screaming, reached out to her phone, and dialed her husband. Mr. Sam had branched  Madam G's Native Kitchen to settle for a while before heading home as his habit demands. He was busy at his usual joint with a bottle of chill
Social Media: Are we swallowed by it? It is alarming yet no longer news the rate of social media usage since the turn of the millennium. Social Media has become a tool in nearly every 9/ 10 persons we meet everyday of our lives. In fact it is estimated that youth particularly engaged in social Media taking 8/9 hours a day out of the 24hrs. Without doubt, social media has come to enhance and add more meaning to our daily life. Since the advent of social media in the early part of the millennium, the rate people get involve in these wonderful platforms keep increasing on a daily basis. To some youth and some fraction of older people, social media is like oxygen. They can't stay a moment without. A lady once said that she can't stay without visiting her Facebook page in a day. With the number of people flooding the Social media on per second basis, one will wonder if these technology has any bad effect at all. Millions of people use social media as it is the trend now,

JOURNEY OF NO RETURN.

  The story. The atmosphere was heavy, that of apprehension and uncertainty as Iquo stared at the open space leading into the compound. It was around 10:33pm that evening.  A time in Ikot Ekim community when every household had put off their lamps and retired to bed. The nocturnal sound of night creatures made the night even more looming and intense.  Nsek has never stayed out so late no matter how fierce any argument with his wife was. In their 24 years of marriage, no matter the nature of the fights Iquo has had with her husband he will always come back home to rest in his hut.  As time ticked away, she stared at the open compound, struggling to fend off the call of nature with the hope her husband would appear at the far end of the compound.  Using her hand to support her chin, she wondered how things could change so fast. Her husband Nsek was no longer the man she married. He picked fights at every little argument and would end the night with curses, accusing Iquo of turning his on